I’m a great candidate. What should I do?
If you are college-bound, future-focused and get excited when you think about volunteering, then you could be in the running for a $10,000 scholarship from H&R Block. Don’t forget to check out the judging criteria first. Click here for Official Rules.
What can the scholarship money be used for?
When does the application close? (deadline extended!)
There are a couple of H&R Block Associates’ family members that I want to nominate. How can I do this? (deadline extended!)
PLEASE NOTE: A student does not need to be nominated to apply.
What are the essay question?
How have you given back to your community and made your community better? (Your community could include: your volunteer experiences, how you improve your neighborhood and/or hometown, any leadership roles at your school or youth groups, and/or any other projects or efforts you think we should know about!)
What’s the deal with the recommendations?
- We’ll need a recommendation from your parent, stepparent, grandparent or step-grandparent who is a current regular or seasonal Associate for H&R Block in the United States. We will ask this recommender to tell us about your strong commitment to your community.
PLEASE NOTE: A recommendation from your relative who works at H&R Block is REQUIRED. Before you start the application, make sure your relative is aware that they will have to fill out the recommendation form for you.
Who should I approach for a second recommendation?
- A second recommendation is optional. If you do decide to reach out for a second recommendation, the strongest recommenders are people who are well informed about your plans for college and vision for the future. This should be someone who knows you well but more importantly can attest to your maturity and determination as well as the actions taken to carve your own path to success. We suggest you send your recommender the judging criteria.
PLEASE NOTE: The second recommender cannot be a family member.
Help! I am having an issue with my application.
- Oops, sorry about that. Reach out to us and we’ll help you out right away: email@example.com
How do I go back and edit my application?
- You can edit your application by going to the application status page and clicking “Edit”. You must first be logged in to view this page.
PLEASE NOTE: You will not be able to edit your application after it is submitted.
What happens if my computer crashes while I am working on the application?
- Yikes! Computer crashes are the worst. To protect your application from being lost, make sure to FIRST write your essays in Word or Google Docs and then copy/paste them into the online application. Also, as you work on your application, periodically hit "Save as Draft" to save your changes. We have no ability to access your application if your computer crashes before you hit save, so please help us help you by making sure you have back-up copies of your essays.
Ok, I submitted, what now?
- Give yourself a high five for a job well done. We’ll reach out to you by early-March if you are a semi-finalist.
How are we being judged?
- You will be judged in three different phases. In the first phase, a team of expert judges—made up of the DoSomething Strategic staff—will review candidates to make sure they embody qualities of a college-bound all-star who is committed to giving back. In the second phase, the DoSomething Strategic staff will conduct interviews (via Google Meet) to gain more insight. Lastly, in the third phase, DoSomething Strategic and H&R Block will decide on the 10 scholarship winners. For more information about how applicants will be considered, please read through judging criteria.
What is Make Every Block Better?
- Make Every Block Better is H&R Block’s social impact platform aimed at reducing isolation and disconnectedness in communities nationwide. Make Every Block Better is rooted in the H&R Block purpose to provide help and inspire confidence in our clients and communities everywhere.
What is DoSomething Strategic?
- DoSomething Strategic is a strategy consultancy that builds off DoSomething.org’s 25 years of experience to help for-profit and not-for-profit brands in the fields of technology, millennials, and impact. To learn more visit www.DoSomethingStrategic.org.
I have more questions, whom should I contact?
- We'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. Please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to reach out to you right away.
In Partnership with
Copyright © 2020 H&R Block